From: Skype.com skype@[spammer's email redacted for legal reasons]The email has been sent to an address harvested from the Epsilon data breach. That's not surprising.. what is surprising is that it has been sent through a UK company that specialises in selling mailing lists and sending bulk commercial email. Perhaps dealing in stolen data is an honest mistake, but perhaps the ICO would like to make that determination.
Date: 29 September 2011 07:23
Subject: New Updates Have Been Released For Skype ! Download Now
This is to notify that new updates have been released for Skype.
Following are major new features :
* Up to 5-way group video call.
* Redesigned calling experience.
* Improved video snapshots gallery.
* Improved browser plugins performance on some websites.
* Reduced false positives on browser plugin phone number recognition.
* New presence icons.
* Improved handling of calling attempts made when the user has run out of credit.
* Improved access to sharing functionality
To download the latest version , go to :
Start downloading the update right now and let us know what you think
The people at Skype
DNS resolution for this site seems to flip between 126.96.36.199 [1&1, UK] and 188.8.131.52 [Ninbo Lanzhong Network Ltd, China]. Of these, the Chinese address is the most interesting with the follow slimeware domains hosted:
If you live in the UK and have the technical expertise to identify the owner of the sending IP address, please consider filing a complaint with the ICO to make sure that they understand the issue.